Thursday, July 31, 2008
Alicia Keys Spies 007 Theme
If you’ve been to the movies this summer, you may have seen the promotional trailer for Quantum of Solace, the new James Bond film scheduled for release this fall (2008).
Alicia Keys has teamed up with Detroit’s Jack White from the group White Stripes for a first ever 007 theme song duet.
"Another Way to Die” is the song that will feature Keys and White.
Troubled soul Amy Winehouse, who received early consideration for the Quantum of Solace theme, did not land the project.
Technorati tags: Alicia Keys Spies 007 Theme
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Solid Gold Dance Party Hit Makers Reunited
During the Summer of 2007, Peaches & Herb, Maxine Nightingale, Anita Ward, A Taste of Honey, France Joli, and the Village People spread some love Across the USA and Canada.
J.T. Taylor of Kool & the Gang fame, and Tavares, also joined the fun.
The 15 city tour, called The Solid Gold Dance Party, brought back some of our favorite energetic hit makers to entertain live from coast to coast.
Since 2006, there’s been a variation on the dance party theme by the promoters, Front Row Productions, to kick the summer into high gear.
Tavares, from New Bedford Massachusetts, struck gold with “More Than a Woman,” “Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel, and “It Only Takes a Minute (To Fall In Love)."
Janice Marie Johnson of A Taste of Honey handles her red bass with the golden touch of “Boogie Oogie Oogie..."
From left to right, J.T. Taylor, Maxine “Right Back Where I Started From” Nightingale, and Ms. “Ring My Bell,” Anita Ward:
Technorati tags: Solid Gold Dance Party Hit Makers Reunited
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Jill Scott Wins Her Way with Song
Jill Scott has wrapped up a 2008 European tour exciting her fans in Poland, Switzerland, Belgium, France, the UK, and the Netherlands.
The Philadelphia, Pennsylvania native is back in the USA for some additional July and August dates before she hits the road again.
After summer music, Jill returns to Botswana in Southern Africa to shoot the second season of the television series: The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency.
Even though Jill has expanded her horizons to pursue more acting opportunities, she maintains time in her schedule to make enjoyable music.
Catch Jill live on these dates:
- Saturday, July 26, 2008, Macy’s Music Festival, Cincinnati, OH
- Sunday, July 27, Chene Park, Detroit, MI
- Wednesday July 30, Chastain Park Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA
- Saturday, August 2, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
- Sunday, August 3, Borgata, Atlantic City, NJ
- Thursday August, 7, Starlight Theatre, Kansas City, MO
- Friday, August 8, Charter One Pavilion, Chicago, IL
- Saturday, August 9, Plain Dealer Arena, Cleveland, OH
- Monday, August 11, Wingate, Brooklyn, NY
- Tuesday, August 12, Central Park Summerstage, NY, NY
Technorati tags: Jill Scott Wins Her Way with Song
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
The Spinners Keep Classic Soul Revolving
Despite several personnel changes, original Spinners Bobbie Smith, Pervis Jackson, and Henry Fambrough continue to generate gleeful harmonies with new lead singer Charlton Washington and new vocalist Spike DeLeon.
"Mighty Love,” “Rubberband Man,” “Could It Be I’m Falling In Love,” and a string of other hits contributed to the Spinners 12 gold records and 6 Grammy Awards.
The Spinners are still taking it to the stage, performing their timeless classic soul hits during their 2008 tour:
- Tuesday, July 29th, California Mid-Sate Fair, Paso Robles, CA
- Wednesday, August 13th, America’s Fair, Buffalo.com Grandstand, Hamburg, NY
- Saturday, August 16th, Tropicana Express, Laughlin Pavilion Theatre, Laughlin, NV
- Friday, August 22nd, New York State Fair, Chevrolet Court, Syracuse, NY
- Saturday, August 23rd, Big Rock Casino, Espanola, NM
- Friday & Saturday, August 29 - 30th, Jazz Festival, Johannesburg Jazz Dome, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Saturday, September 6th, Cerritos Center for the Arts, Cerritos, CA
- Saturday, September 20th, Palace Theatre, Corsicana, TX
- Saturday, September 27th, Millennium Center, Southfield, MI
- Saturday, October 4th, Home Front Festival by the Bay, Richmond, CA
- Saturday, October 11th, Pontin’s Prestatyn, Prestatyn, North Wales, United Kingdom
- Saturday, October 18th, Trump Marina, Grand Cayman Ballroom, Atlantic City, NJ
- Friday, November 7th, Viejas Casino - Dreamcatcher, Alpine, CA
- Saturday, November 8th, Pechanga Resort & Casino, Temecula, CA
- Friday, December 5th, Children’s Charities Foundation Event, Washington Hilton & Towers, Washington, DC
Technorati tags: The Spinners Keep Classic Soul Revolving
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Chaka Khan 2008 World Tour
Chaka Khan is heating up the European continent on the latest leg of her 2008 - 35th Anniversary World Tour.
She’ll be back in the USA on a cross-country excursion in August.
- Saturday, July 19, Campione D’Italia Casino, Campione D’Italia, Italy
- Sunday, July 20, Porretta Soul Festival, Porretta Terme, Italy
- Tuesday, July 22, Indigo, London, England
- Wednesday, July 23, Bridgewater, Manchester, England
- Thursday, July 31, Disney World Resort, Orlando, FL
- Saturday, August 2, Country Club Hills Theater, Country Club Hills, IL
- Tuesday, August 5, Epic, Minneapolis, MN
- Thursday, August 7, Kool Haus, Toronto, Canada
- Friday, August 8, Ohio State Fair, Columbus, OH
- Saturday, August 9, Borgata, Atlantic City, NJ
- Sunday, August 10, Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA
- Tuesday, August 12, Nokia Theater, New York, NY
- Thursday & Friday, August 14-15, Warner Theater, Washington, DC
- Saturday, August 16, Seneca Niagara Casino Theater, Niagara Falls, NY
- Monday, August 18, Showcase Live, Foxborough, MA
- Thursday, August 21, Palladium Ballroom, Dallas, TX
- Friday, August 22, Riverwind Casino, Norman, OK
- Saturday, August 23, Winstar Casino, Thackerville, OK
- Sunday, August 24, Reliant Arena, Houston, TX
- Friday, August 29, Hard Rock Casino, Biloxi, MS
- Saturday, August 30, Cannon Center, Memphis, TN
- Friday & Saturday, September 5-6, Gibson Amphitheater, Los Angeles, CA
This is a really intense non-stop schedule!
Here are 3 additional Chaka Khan tidbits…
- The Chaka Khan - Yvette Stevens connection
- Rufus & Chaka Khan’s 30th Anniversary Concert
- Chaka Khan at Resorts International Atlantic City
Technorati tags: Chaka Khan 2008 World Tour
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Jeffrey Osborne Holds On to Joy on the Road
On July 15, 1978, L.T.D., featuring Jeffrey Osborne hit the charts with the future #1 R&B song, “Holding On (When Love is Gone)”.
It’s 2008, and 30 years later, Jeffrey Osborne is still the traveling troubadour, taking his music to venues near and far during his Summer/Fall tour:
- Saturday, August 2, Timberwood Amphitheatre, Magic Springs Theme park, Hot Springs, AR
- Friday, August 8, Gettysburg, VA
- Saturday, August 16, Santa Fe Casino, Las Vegas, NV
- Sunday, August 24, 4019 W. Sunset Blvd. – Sunset Junction Street Festival, Los Angeles, CA
- Wednesday, August 27, 5 Points Street Festival, Denver, CO
- Friday, August 29, First District Plaza, Philadelphia, PA
- Saturday, September 20, UMOJA Festival, Wireless Paviillon, Portsmouth , VA
- Sunday, September 21, The Birchmere, Alexandria, VA
- Saturday, October 4, The Harold Washington Cultural Center, Chicago, IL
- Sunday, October 5, Sound Academy, Toronto, Canada
- Friday, October 10, The Sheraton Hotel Ballroom, Baton Rouge, LA
- Saturday, October 11, Diamond Jacks Casino, Vicksburg, MS
- Sunday, October 12, Jazztrax Festival, Avalon Ballroom, Avalon, CA
Osborne, born on March 9, 1948, continues to bellow those mellow song vibrations as he begins his 6th decade.
Technorati tags: Jeffrey Osborne holds on to Joy on the Road
Thursday, July 10, 2008
MFSB Summertime Classic Soul Fun
The Gamble & Huff hit machine was riding high during the Summer of 1976.
Their house musicians: MFSB, mother - father - sister - brother, the instrumental magic behind the Philly sound, released a spirited album that year just in time for the lazy hazy days of Summer.
Best known for “Love is the Message,” and “TSOP,” (the sound of Philadelphia), MFSB’s Summertime included a cool collection of toe tapping treats topped with lots of breezy, airy, vocals.
Producers Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff, Gene McFadden, John Whitehead, and several other Philly faithful whipped up these bouncy songs keyed perfectly together for the hot weather season.
Gamble & Huff wrote 4 of the 8 songs...
- “Picnic In The Park”
- “Summertime” (George Gershwin)
- “Plenty Good Lovin’”
- “Sunnin’ and Funnin’” (McFadden & Whitehead)
- “Summertime and I’m Feelin’ Mellow” (McFadden, Whitehead, Carstarphen)
- “I’m on Your Side”
- “Hot Summer Nights”
- “We Got The Time” (McFadden, Whitehead, Carstarphen)
Listen to 60 seconds of George Gershwin’s “Summertime,” performed Philly style, by MFSB from this great classic soul album.
Technorati tags: MFSB Summertime Classic Soul Fun
Tuesday, July 08, 2008
Trammps Triumphant with Disco Soul
Their official biography reveals that the Trammps began in Philadelphia in 1972 featuring vocalist, Jimmy Ellis, Harold Doc Wade, Stanley Wade, and Earl Young.
The Trammps have traveled with as many as 11 members, musicians who’ve also played for both Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff’s Philadelphia International Records, and later for Vince Montana’s Salsoul Orchestra.
"Zing Went the Strings Of My Heart,” a remake of a 1943 Judy Garland classic, was the Trammps first hit in 1972 reaching #17 R&B, and #64 pop.
Buddah Records recorded several Trammps hits, including “Hold Back The Night” which peaked at #10 R&B, and #40 pop, and “Where Do We Go From Here,” a #44 R&B chart hit in 1974.
By mid 1975, the Trammps became one of Atlantic Records hottest dance music acts.
Their first album with Atlantic produced “Hooked for Life,” and “Where the Happy People Go.” (their biggest pop hit).
For 1977’s “Disco Inferno” anthem, the Trammps were recognized as the best performing group by one of New York’s most popular clubs, 2001 Space Odyssey, the location for the movie, Saturday Night Fever.
The soundtrack from the movie included “Disco Inferno,” for which the Trammps won a Grammy Award in 1979.
Original members, Jimmy Ellis, Harold Doc Wade, Stanley Wade and Dave Dixon continue as the core of the Trammps. They tour nationally and internationally with musicians from the original touring group.
Catch The Trammps, Friday, August 1, 2008, 7:30 pm at the Bank of America Pavilion, Boston, Massachusetts, for the Solid Gold Dance Party.
Technorati tags: Trammps Triumphant with Disco Soul
Thursday, July 03, 2008
Will Smith, Bo Diddley, and Hancock
Once again, the world will be hearing the lasting influence of Bo Diddley in Will Smith’s new summer “super hero” send off, Hancock, hitting movie theaters just in time for the July 4th holiday weekend.
Classic R&B, rock, soul, and pop music legend Bo Diddley recently passed away. His song, “Who Do You Love,” is performed by George Thorogood & The Destroyers for the Hancock soundtrack connection.
Will Hancock be another silver screen smash hit for “Big Willy?”
Maybe, however win or lose at the box office, Bo Diddley’s music gets another high mileage vehicle in which to cruise.
Technorati tags: Will Smith, Bo Diddley, and Hancock
Tuesday, July 01, 2008
Kool & The Gang Take it to the Stage
Here are some 2008 tour dates for Kool & the Gang:
- Thursday, July 3, San Jacinto, CA - Soboba Casino Arena
- Friday, July 4, Garland, TX - Garland’s Star Spangled Fourth Festival
- Friday, July 11, Gulfport, MS - Island View Casino Resort
- Friday, July 25, Las Vegas, NV - The Orleans Hotel & Casino
- Saturday, July 26, Las Vegas, NV - The Orleans Hotel & Casino
- Sunday, July 27, Las Vegas, NV - The Orleans Hotel & Casino
- Saturday, August 2, Mableton, GA - Mable House Barnes Amphitheatre
- Sunday, August 3, Bethlehem, PA - Bethlehem Musikfest
- Wednesday, August 6, Girona, Spain - Festival Jardins de Caproig
- Friday, August 8, Alicante, Spain - Port of Alicante
- Saturday, August 9, Murcia, Spain - venue to be announced
- Sunday, August 10, Menorca, Spain - Isla del Rey
- Saturday September 6, Rotterdam, The Netherlands - Football Stadium
Technorati tags: Kool & The Gang Take it to the Stage